SELKIRK'S ATHLETIC BIG BLOCK
Athletic ‘Big Block’ points are accumulated over the course of an athlete’s tenure at Selkirk. It is to reward participation in sport and longevity within a sport(s).
Coaches’ responsibility: List all of the athletes who participated on your team over the past season. Each athlete will receive two points for his/her participation based on the criteria below.
• Student athlete must participate in at least 50% of competition for each sport, unless a coach has excused the athlete for a valid reason (medical). (50% of completion does not mean an athlete qualifies if they are only partially committed to practice and game play. It applies to multi-sport athletes who have sport seasons conflict).
• In order to get a ‘Big Block’, a student must complete a season in their Junior years of eligibility as well as in their Grade 12 year.
• Two points are to be awarded per season of play on a recognized school team; 3 points will be awarded for sports played in a Gr. 12 year.
• Additional points will be awarded to an athlete participating in the same sport for consecutive years will receive the following points in order to reward the athletes for their longevity;
3 consecutive years in a sport – 1 point
4 consecutive years in a sport – 3 points
5 consecutive years in a sport – 5 points
• ‘BIG BLOCK' awards will be awarded to any Grade 12 athlete who has accumulated 20 points.
• ‘BIG BLOCK AWARD OF EXCELLENCE' will be awarded to any Grade 12 athlete who has accumulated 40 points or higher.
• Students also may be eligible to receive points for assistance with a team for a season (team manager, assistant coach, etc.)