ATHLETES OF THE YEAR
(Bantam, Junior Boy, Junior Girl, Senior Boy, Senior Girl)
These annual awards are based on 5 specific areas of excellence.
* Athletic Achievements
* Good Academic Standing
STORM BIG BLOCK AND AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
Awarded to graduating students who have participated in athletics throughout their years at Selkirk (see Big Block menu for criteria)
BILL MURPHY MEMORIAL
Recognizes a senior student who excels in academics, athletics and citizenship.
LEE HASKELL MEMORIAL
Recognizes an athlete who exemplifies attitude, effort and dedication to sport (basketball)
NICHOLAS MAYNE MEMORIAL
Recognizes an athlete who displays sportsmanship, effort and a positive attitude
SELKIRK'S ATHLETIC BIG BLOCK
Athletic ‘Big Block’ points are accumulated over the course of an athlete’s tenure at Selkirk. It is to reward participation in sport and longevity within a sport(s).
Coaches’ responsibility: List all of the athletes who participated on your team over the past season. Each athlete will receive two points for his/her participation based on the criteria below.
• Student athlete must participate in at least 50% of competition for each sport, unless a coach has excused the athlete for a valid reason (medical). (50% of completion does not mean an athlete qualifies if they are only partially committed to practice and game play. It applies to multi-sport athletes who have sport seasons conflict).
• In order to get a ‘Big Block’, a student must complete a season in their Junior years of eligibility as well as in their Grade 12 year.
• Two points are to be awarded per season of play on a recognized school team; 3 points will be awarded for sports played in a Gr. 12 year.
• Additional points will be awarded to an athlete participating in the same sport for consecutive years will receive the following points in order to reward the athletes for their longevity;
3 consecutive years in a sport – 1 point
4 consecutive years in a sport – 3 points
5 consecutive years in a sport – 5 points
• ‘BIG BLOCK' awards will be awarded to any Grade 12 athlete who has accumulated 20 points.
• ‘BIG BLOCK AWARD OF EXCELLENCE' will be awarded to any Grade 12 athlete who has accumulated 40 points or higher.
• Students also may be eligible to receive points for assistance with a team for a season (team manager, assistant coach, etc.)