WES School Plan -Goal to improve literacyWhat follows is a sampling of the main points of our school plan. Below is a link to the full and approved School Plan
Aggregated Individual Student Literacy Targets:
By the end of June 2016, for students currently in Grades 1 to 7:
• 84% (123/147) will be meeting or exceeding widely-held outcomes for grade level in Reading, Writing, & Oral Language
• 15% of students in our school (22/147) will be meeting adapted outcomes (not yet grade level but closing the gap to get there) in Reading, Writing, & Oral Language
• 1% of students in our school (2/147) will be meeting modified outcomes (individualized based on significantly different program from standard curriculum) in Literacy
• We have 25 students in Kindergarten. Students do not have literacy targets for their Kindergarten year because they are brand new to school and we are just getting to know them.
A Few Pockets or Areas to Focus on:• We have a group of 6 primary students who do not yet have the letter recognition and letter-sound association to support their reading.
• We have 25 students in Grade 1-7 to assist in getting to grade level reading ability.
• We have 10 students who have challenges with speech to be supported.
Key Strategies in Place for the Start of the YearUniversal: we will be working as a staff toward other common practices to improve literacy-such as Words Their Way, Jolly Phonics, and SmartLearning.
Targeted: Read Naturally, co-teaching time for literacy in all primary classrooms
Intensive: Learning Services support and other supports intensified or added as needed as students respond to instruction
Windermere School Plan September 2015