CW22-52 Education Assistant
Location: Eileen Madson Primary School
Competition #: 15304
Open To: External
Date Posted: November 28th, 2022
Closing Date: December 9th, 2022 - 4:00pm
Job Start Date: October 31st, 2022
Job End Date: December 16th, 2022
As per Collective Agreement
Hours Per Week:
School District No. 6 (Rocky Mountain) is now accepting internal applications for:
Temporary, Part-time (26.5 hr/wk)
Start date January 4, 2022 to June 30, 2022
The Education Assistant is a member of a school or district team, and who participates in the development and delivery of support services to individuals or small group(s) of students under the supervision of a Teacher or Principal and in a manner that reflects the District’s policy regarding inclusion.
General duties of EA include, implementation of adapted and/or modified curriculum methods and strategies, augmentative and alternative communication, providing personal care, understanding and supporting behavior, knowledge of specific disorders including learning disability, intellectual disability, FASDS, ASD, medical/ health needs, mental health and addictions. An EA must respect the intrinsic worth of all individuals and belief in the dignity, individuality, and rights all persons with core values of empathy, respect, genuineness and warmth. More specifically may include:
1. Participating in Individual Educational Planning, school based team meetings, parent meetings, Open Houses, etc., which are relevant to the student(s) with whom they are directly involved.
2. Providing instructional support, behavior management support and record keeping support (i.e. home/school communication book, journals, charting and observations, etc. as specified).
3. Assisting in modifying and adapting classroom materials.
4. With appropriate training, may assist with delivery of medical procedures, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech programs as prescribed by professionals.
5. May supervise students on school outings.
6. Assisting with development and maintenance of community work-experience placements for students with identified special needs.
7. Assisting students with personal care needs (i.e. toileting, dressing, eating, mobility, communicating and facilitating participation in activities) as outlined by health professionals (i.e. OP, PT, Nursing Support Services).
8. Working with assistive technologies, including computers, peripherals and a variety of software applications (i.e. Board maker, Kurzweil, Clicker 5, Co-Writer, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Intellitools or others as identified by the school-based team).
9. Assisting students to be included in the school community.
10. Behaving in a manner that respects the sensitivity and confidentiality of all information related to staff and students.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
1. Demonstrates a genuine interest in and understanding of students.
2. Demonstrates initiative and the ability to work with limited supervision and/or within a complex team environment.
3. Demonstrates a high level of adaptability and responsibility.
4. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
5. Maintains a flexible and co-operative manner.
6. Exhibits a mature and positive attitude and models appropriate behavior.
Training and Experience
1. High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. Appropriate post-secondary training (i.e. Special Education Assistant Program or a diploma in counseling, social work, childcare or education). Certified candidates will have completed a one-year certificate of Education Assistant Program.
3. Successful experience working with students with special needs.
4. Additional training in supporting students with Autism or other specific special needs may be required.
5. First Aid Certificate would be an asset.
Rate of Pay
As per the Collective Agreement 440
For further information, please contact R. Riddell-McKay, Principal, 250-272.2097.
Interested internal candidates should submit an email or fax expressing their interest, quoting competition #CW22-52 by Friday, December 9, 2022 at 4:00 pm (MST) to:
School District No.6 (Rocky Mountain)
Fax: (250) 342-6966 e-mail: email@example.com