Indigenous Education Student Support Worker
Location: Nicholson Elementary School
Competition #: 15799
Open To: External
Date Posted: March 17th, 2023
Closing Date: Open Ended
Job Start Date: April 3rd, 2023
Job End Date: June 30th, 2023
Hours Per Week:
.5143 FTE (18 hours per week)
School District 6 is seeking an Indigenous Education Student Support Worker for a temporary, part-time (18 hr/wk) position at Nicholson Elementary School, effective April 3, 2023 to June 30, 2023.
Indigenous Education Support Worker, as a responsible and respected member of the school staff, will contribute to the strategic goals of both the District and the school. This will be accomplished while working in collaboration and cooperation with District and school administrators, Indigenous partners, teaching and support staff, students, families, and community support services.
- act as a liaison between school and family/community to support both short-term and long-term success of Indigenous students;
- collaborate as a member of the School Based Team to establish, review, refine and adjust plans for Indigenous learners;
- act as a support and resource for school staff and students moving towards Truth and Reconciliation and implementing the Calls to Action;
- facilitate data collection to develop strategies and interventions for Indigenous students;
- support capacity building and growth for school staff and students in relation to Indigenous teaching and learning concepts;
- lead and role model leadership in classroom, school-wide, and District activities;
- act as liaison between community agencies, Indigenous partners, and families to support all aspects of student growth;
- support student achievement by encouraging student commitment to studies, appropriate attendance and healthy life-style decisions, and by celebrating successes with students, their families, school staff, and their communities;
- assist staff with progress reports, culturally appropriate intervention plans, enrichment opportunities/suggestions, the development of Individual Education Plans, and gathering of specific student information as appropriate;
- maintain current information in approved Student Information Systems;
- facilitate transition planning for new students, students moving between schools, and for students graduating;
- in collaboration with the School Based Team, assist with the referral of students and families to appropriate school and community resources;
- support social emotional, academic, physical, and cultural learning needs for Indigenous students;
- support positive connections with parents/guardians/families and encourage parents and students to participate fully as members of the school community;
- support students and families by attending parent-teacher conferences/interviews, student-led conferences, and meetings;
- support culturally appropriate school-wide activities for all students;
- participate in District meetings and/or communities of practice;
- collaborate with the District Vice-Principal for Indigenous Learning and Equity and/or District staff; and
- other related responsibilities that may be assigned by the school principal.
- Completion of an Indigenous Education Support Worker diploma program; or,
- Diploma or Degree in Indigenous Studies, Education, or Social Work; or,
- Other relevant diploma or degree program, or relevant coursework and experience working with Indigenous students in the K-12 systems, or equivalent; and,
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Preference in hiring will be given to applicants of Indigenous Ancestry if all if all other qualifications are deemed equal.
Applications for this opportunity remain open until filled. Applications are received via Make a Future http://sd6-makeafuture.simplication.com (Make a Future #3437002). Applications must include a cover letter, resume and two professional references.
Please address questions regarding this position to Margo Reinders, Principal, NES, at 250-344-2370.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that we will only be in contact with those individuals moving forward in the process.